Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Workaholism vs passion?

So last night I went into the cleanroom at 9 pm. Don't get me wrong... I don't always stay till this late, but I had to check on my epi growth with S. Anyway, when I went in, there were like 15 people inside! Most of the PhD students were there, as well as a few of the engineers.

Now PK will be really happy to know people are working so hard. But it gets me wondering... what motivates people at IME? Are we really so passionate about our work? Perhaps we are workaholics? I hope it is not due to being forced by circumstances. I prefer to think that people really like their work here. Will this be my life in grad school? Hmmm...

2 Comments:

Blogger Azzurra said...

Hmmm this problem about work vs "life" is an eternal one for me. Half the time I feel stressed out and the other half I feel guilty for slacking off. Sounds like a sign that I'm not working with something I like... Then again if you like your work, do you necessarily integrate it into your life already? Or do you still have to "tear yourself" from work?

10:33 PM  
Blogger Yifan said...

It is a wonderful thing to "like" your work. I think most people don't have such luxury and dread going to work, hence we have so many slackers and complainers =P. I think I like my work - in that sense I am quite lucky.

But on the other hand, no matter how much you enjoy or like your work, I feel that it is still necessary to spend time with family, friends, and loved ones. By saying that "I like my work, hence I am going to work all the time. There is nothing else I want to do" is being very selfish I think. Perhaps this kind of person has no friends, but how about family? You can't "disown" your family, can you?

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home